Serenity Station

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firefly Fleet Announcements:

Welcome to Serenity Station!!

We now have a Tier three Starbase!!

Welcome to the Firefly Fleet!   Fleet and web updates will be found here!

Be sure to drop by our Allied forums and say hi!  Very Happy

Congratulations to new promotees!

Navigation

Index
Index
Calender
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Search The Forum
Firefly Fleet Protocols
Fleet Roster
Forum Memberlist
Usergroups
User Control Panel
Private Message Inbox

Team Speak

teamspeak server Hosting by TeamSpeak3.com

Latest topics

» New Active User
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 am by sirvanyev

» Map of station?
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 6:23 am by Reanna Aloi

» Price of Liberty crew
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 11:11 am by HareBrained

» Curiousity Topics
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyThu May 30, 2019 7:16 pm by Reanna Aloi

» As ithers see us?
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptySun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm by Reanna Aloi

» Species profile - the Thuln
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 7:48 pm by Reanna Aloi

» Is it time we had our own system of "stardates"?
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm by Seeker

» For VR buffs
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am by Reanna Aloi

» Noelle's Request to join the Fleet
Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm by Lastline

3 posters

Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother

HareBrained
    HareBrained
    Flag Captain Alpha Squad
    Flag Captain Alpha Squad

Fleet Rank : Flag Captain
    Science Department Rank : SCI Captain
    Number of posts : 833
    Ship Name : Magpie
    Ship Class : Aurora Class Science Vessel (Fleet Refit)
    Fleet Division : Science/Medical

Main RP Character Profile
    Name: Ellen Hare

Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother Empty Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother

Post by HareBrained Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:29 am

I came across an idea on the main STO forums, from somebody who does a kind of RPing very much like ours, only by e-mail instead of on a forum.  I don't know whether it would work for us, but I thought that if it did, it might make our RPs go a lot faster, and so more interestingly, for the same amount of effort.  What his group do is, instead of having to wait for a response every time your character says something that requires a reply, even a trivial one, you add "tags" for the other player to fill in.  Here's an example from his group.

The story is up to:
    "Not really," Takeshi said. "I've been hearing a lot of scuttlebutt, though - no real details, and a lot of theories." He shrugged. "Eh, we'll find out when we find out, I guess."
    Ariel Ares's controller posts following this:
    Ariel nodded.  That was really all they could do.  “So, I guess there was more room on the ship than expected.  We may not be bunkmates, but I have heard that we are going to be neighbors.”  She had gotten a strange look from the officer assigning rooms when she had asked if Takeshi would be rooming with her.  Ariel was ok with the assumptions the woman had been making since it didn’t really matter, but it did make it easier to know that they would each have some more room for quarters, particularly since the assignment was going to last for two months.

<Takeshi?>

Laughing at the comment, Ariel just nodded.  “It’s OK.  Usually these assignments don’t come with a lot of down time to spend in our quarters anyway.”

<Takeshi?>

In his next posting, Takeshi Yamato's controller fills in the tags and adds one at the end to show that it's for Ariel's controller to carry on (though that goes without saying, really, since she's the only other character present).  New additions highlighted in red:
    Ariel nodded.  That was really all they could do.  “So, I guess there was more room on the ship than expected.  We may not be bunkmates, but I have heard that we are going to be neighbors.”  She had gotten a strange look from the officer assigning rooms when she had asked if Takeshi would be rooming with her.  Ariel was ok with the assumptions the woman had been making since it didn’t really matter, but it did make it easier to know that they would each have some more room for quarters, particularly since the assignment was going to last for two months.

Takeshi blinked. He had heard something similar, he just hadn't fully realized it until now. "Oh," he said.

Laughing at the comment, Ariel just nodded.  “It’s OK.  Usually these assignments don’t come with a lot of down time to spend in our quarters anyway.”

Takeshi nodded. "True," he said. "And we can still hang out in each other's rooms with what downtime we do have."

<< Ariel >>

More examples appear in the group's archive at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/starbase_horizon/conversations/messages .  

I don't know what everyone else's opinion is of this, or whether it would work in a forum, but we could try it out in a small way at first to see if it would work.

Nearly all of the RPers in this forum seem to be high enough rank to have moderator permissions, so that might offer a neat way of doing it - people could fill in tags addressed to them directly in each others' postings, without having to repeat the whole posting.

Opinions?
    Pyriel32
    Pyriel32
    Fallen Browncoat

Fleet Rank : Fleet Admiral
    Special Operations Rank : SPO Fleet Admiral
    Intel Department Rank : INT Fleet Admiral
    Number of posts : 4719
    Ship Name : U.S.S. ACHERON
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-97397-D
    Ship Class : Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser (Special Operations Refit)
    Fleet Division : Intel/Special Ops

Name: Pyriel Danto

Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother Empty Re: Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother

Post by Pyriel32 Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Sounds like a good Idea.
    Seeker
    Seeker
    Director of Search and Rescue operations

Fleet Rank : Admiral
    Science Department Rank : SCI Admiral
    Medical Division Rank : Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother Empty
    Security/Marine Rank : FMC Sergeant
    Number of posts : 2854
    Location : Second star to the right and striate on till morning
    Ship Name : S.F.F. Seeker
    U.S.S. Seaquest
    I.A.T. Misbehave
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-65640
    Ship Class : Nebula class with a new prototype superstructure.

Name: Dekkar Martle

Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother Empty Re: Tags - a possible idea to make RPs run smoother

Post by Seeker Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:41 pm

sound like it could work well for some stuff if we don't get too carried away with it it could help some times what some one says or dose affects what your character would say and change direction of where thing headed. but could work
    HareBrained
    HareBrained
    Flag Captain Alpha Squad
    Flag Captain Alpha Squad

Fleet Rank : Flag Captain
    Science Department Rank : SCI Captain
    Number of posts : 833
    Ship Name : Magpie
    Ship Class : Aurora Class Science Vessel (Fleet Refit)

Name: Ellen Hare

Post by HareBrained Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:32 pm

Good point - can't put in a tag and then carry on after the tag with something that assumes the other person gave a certain answer, when it's something that they might feasibly want to decide the other way. But it's easy enough to judge that. I'll start trying the tag thing in a small way, then, next time it seems useful, and we can see how it goes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 am