Firefly Fleet Announcements:

Welcome to Serenity Station!!

We now have a Tier three Starbase!!

Welcome to the Firefly Fleet!   Fleet and web updates will be found here!

Be sure to drop by our Allied forums and say hi!  Very Happy

Congratulations to new promotees!

Navigation

Index
Index
Calender
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Search The Forum
Firefly Fleet Protocols
Fleet Roster
Forum Memberlist
Usergroups
User Control Panel
Private Message Inbox

Team Speak

teamspeak server Hosting by TeamSpeak3.com

Latest topics

» Nibiru
Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:04 pm by HareBrained

» Archon Class Assault Cruiser
Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:35 pm by Pyriel32

» Sphere Builder Lockbox
Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:38 am by Jonjah

» Steamrunner Bundle
Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:08 pm by Pyriel32

» artifacts
Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:21 pm by Pyriel32

» Second Chance Saloon
Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am by Cpt Cannons

» Team Speak 3 The Latest Editon
Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:52 am by Cpt Cannons

» TimeLine
Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:22 am by Lastline

» Fleet Station K-13 Returns!
Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:34 am by Pyriel32

DOFFing and You: An Introduction

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Fleet Rank : Captain
    Number of posts : 19
    Ship Name : USS Kimini
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-92612
    Ship Class : Odyssey Tactical Cruiser
    Fleet Division : Command

Main RP Character Profile
    Name:

DOFFing and You: An Introduction

Post by Issara on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 pm

So after a recent chat, I was persuaded to give this a shot. Smile

My aim is to give a high-level overview of the Duty Officer system to start with and use any questions/comments to guide further delving.

---------------------------------------------

What is the Duty Officer (DOFF) system?
    Well, at its core, it is an entirely optional minigame. But it does tie into the newly revamped R&D system (Crafting) and the Fleet Starbase and the assorted holdings.

Why should I care?
    As mentioned above, at the very least it is tied into the Fleet Starbase system and the R&D system. Pulling back a little bit, it can be an alternate/supplemental source of: Dilithium, XP, Fleet Marks, commodities, raw materials, and gear*.
          *due to the rng nature of the rewards from DOFF crafting missions, the proliferation of fleet gear/rep gear, and the new R&D system, your mileage may vary on your rewards.

Ok, so how does this all work?
    Depending on where you are in the galaxy and what time it is, a random assortment of DOFF missions will be available for you to choose from. As you find missions you'd like to run, you assign DOFFs from your crew, then sit back and wait for the mission timer to finish (just like rep and starbase projects).

Wait...where I am in the galaxy? And what time of day it is?
    Yes, every 4 hours the list of available DOFF missions in each Sector Block and most social maps updates. So the list of missions available on Earth Spacedock from 12PM - 4PM will differ from the list from 4PM - 8PM, and so on. The Personal mission list updates every hour. And the missions available from your Department Heads updates on a 20 hour rotation and is affected by where in the galaxy your are.

You expect me to tour the galaxy every 4 hours?
    Yes  Twisted Evil
    In reality: no. Here is where we can leverage the power of the community. With the help of Captains like you, a Google Spreadsheet (http://bit.ly/DOFFS) has been created to easily show which missions are currently available and where. While not mandatory to use in conjunction with the DOFF system, it can help streamline your efforts.

Whoa...spreadsheets, timers, this is starting to sound a bit too complicated...
    On the surface and taken as a whole, yes, it can seem complicated and overwhelming. But it needn't be. It can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. If you just want to use the default DOFFs and worry about missions once a week, you can. Do you want to micromanage every minute of each of your DOFF's lives every time you log in? Or any other variation? You can. Lots of room out there in the black for everyone.

---------------------------------------------

Alrighty, hopefully I haven't turned anyone off of the DOFF system forever. Smile  I promised I wouldn't muddy the waters by going too in-depth to start, so feel free to respond with questions/comments and we'll see where we end up. Very Happy

Ryukotsu
    Head of Engineering

Fleet Rank : Flag Captain
    Intel Department Rank : INT Captain
    Engineering Dept. Rank : SED Captain
    Number of posts : 300
    Ship Name : U.S.S Serenity
    I.S.S Serenity
    Ship Registry Number : (current) NCV-94011
    (Alternate) NX-94011
    Ship Class : Wells temporal Science vessel
    Mobius Temporal Destroyer
    Fleet Division : Intel/Special Ops

Name:

Re: DOFFing and You: An Introduction

Post by Ryukotsu on Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:29 pm

is there a simple way of knowing what missions are best to take over others if you dont pay to close attention to the doff system for the most part?

What are good ways to get more duty officers for Doff missions?

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Name:

Post by Issara on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 pm

ryukotsu wrote:is there a simple way of knowing what missions are best to take over others if you dont pay to close attention to the doff system for the most part?

What are good ways to get more duty officers for Doff missions?

To answer your first question, it depends on what you're after, or focusing on, in the DOFF system to know what are the "best" missions. Someone trying to build up their DOFF roster will dive into the colony chains and other recruitment focused missions, while someone just focused on large commendation XP (CXP) payouts will have a completely different "best" list. Regardless of what someone chooses to focus on, better quality duty officers generate more/better quality rewards upon mission completion.

Now, your second question dove-tails in nicely here. There are several ways to get more duty officers to flesh out your roster. [Quick sidebar: The default DOFF roster cap is 100. It can be increased in 25 or 100 slots, for Zen, to a max of 500] The most straightforward way is, of course, Zen. What you get is random, within the limits of the pack you're buying. Next up would be the AH. A little less random, but annoying to search through. And can become quite expensive, quite fast. The last option in the "shut up, and take my money" vein is Fleet Credits. Located on the Fleet Starbase, in the command area with bank/mail access and the Officer of the Watch, is the Personnel Officer. Depending on Starbase level and unlocked upgrades, you can purchase varying quality (common, rare, etc) random duty officers. You can choose the generic box that includes all doff specializations, or narrow your focus to Tactical, Engineering, or Science. Otherwise, your source of new duty officers is the system itself.

As mentioned earlier, there are colony chains, whose final step rewards you with a unique rare doff. Completing the entire colony chain also unlocks a repeatable mission for a shot at a unique very rare doff. Swinging over to DS9, due to the events of the Featured Episode series The 2800, 4 embassy chains were added that unlock officer exchanges. Give the Bajorans, Cardassians, Karemma, or Paradans an unneeded officer and hopefully get a better one in return. Prisoner exchanges allow for any KDF or Dominion POWs to be exchanged for a random duty officer.

Colonial support missions, the repeatable mission unlocked at the end of colony chains, will always give a refugee. You can then turn around and find them Asylum on various FED aligned or FED-friendly worlds, in exchange for a random doff. Next up are Recruitment missions. On SFA, in the N-NW building that houses the Mid-term dilithium daily is a Personnel Officer. She offers a variety of recruitment missions. A word of warning on the General recruitment mission, it is the only one she offers with a dilithium cost (1000) attached. Located outside this building on the western side, is a Tellarite and Andorian Personnel Officers. A Vulcan Personnel Officer is located on the south side of the central garden with the Starfleet Command logo in the center. All three offer Cultural Exchanges that reward a random doff of the associated race. A last note on Cultural Exchanges. They can sometimes be found in FED space within your Personal list of duty officer missions. They're rare, but cover the other Federation races aside from the 3 on SFA.

Last, but not least, is Lt. Ferra. Located inside the same building we visited for the Personnel Officer, she offers doffs tied to your rank in the 11 Commendation categories. Duty Officer missions fall into, and reward commendation XP (CXP) for, one or more of the 11 categories. As you rank up in a category (up to Rank 4), Ferra will offer you your choice of a free doff. Afterwards you can return and buy others in that category for dilithium.

A lot to take in, but I hope it helps. I'll work on more in-depth examinations coming up amidst any further questions.

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Name:

Post by Issara on Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:51 pm

Alright, so how do I look at this DOFF thingamajiger?
    First, I would like to apologize. I cannot find anywhere what the default keybind is for the DOFF UI, if it even has a default. To set/change the keybind, go to Options -> Keybinds, scroll down to 'Gameplay Windows' and modify 'Duty Officers.' For those that prefer clicking, or at least knowing all your options, on the bottom of the minimap there is a button that looks like 3 silhouettes. This will also get you to the DOFF UI. Moving on!

So what am I looking at?
    Your standard LCARS system layout. Across the top of the window will be 4 tabs: Overview, Roster, Assignments, R&D.

Overview is exactly that. A quick summary at a glance of the state of your crew. Each summary breakdown also contains links to get you to that section quickly. On the right side is the Commendation categories overview. Each category shows your current rank and xp progress to the next rank. Clicking on any category will expand it to show the xp total needed for each rank as well as any rewards associated with that rank.

Roster is all aspects of your, well, roster. Along the left side of the window are the various breakdowns of your roster:

-Roster is the complete list doffs, organized by school: Tactical, Security, Engineering, Operations, Science, Medical, and Civilian. Additional filters can be used to sort the list even further, such as rarity or specialization.

-Active Space allows you to assign doffs from your roster to active duty. Depending on the doff's specialization (Conn officer, Transporter officer, etc) you'll gain access to their buffs. You can change which doffs are on active duty as you see fit, but doing so does bind that doff to your character. Higher quality doffs provide larger bonuses to their buffs.

-Active Ground is just like Active Space, only focusing on doffs that affect ground maps.

(Tip: While assigning a doff to active space or ground duty binds them to your character, it also removes them from "reserve" status, effectively giving you 10 (5 space, 5 ground) extra slots in your roster)

-Sickbay is where any doffs injured during the completion of their assignment go. The severity of the injury will affect the length of the doffs stay in Sickbay. Upon acknowledgment of completion/failure, any assignment that results in injured doffs automatically assigns them to sickbay. Sickbay missions do not count towards the number of missions you can have running concurrently.

-Brig, the Pokey, the Big House, the Slammer. This is where any prisoners you pick up from doff missions go. You can only have a maximum of 20, so consider POW exchanges or turning them over to Starfleet if it starts getting crowded.

-Passengers will always be Colonists. They're utilized in the colony chains located in various sector blocks. You can ferry up to 20 of them around the galaxy at a time.

-Cargo Bay is a summary of all of the commodities you might be carrying on you at the moment.

Assignments. If it's an assignment, it'll be found in here.

-Current Map will list all missions available, if any, on the current map. They will be organized by Commendation category. Every 4 hours, this list will reset itself with a new list of missions.

-Personal will list all missions available to you and only you. This will be a smaller, specialized list. Typically filled with shipboard missions, like fixing the turbolift, or running targeting drills. This list will reset every hour.

-Department Heads allows you to set Bridge Officers to positions of First Officer and Department Head, as well as giving access to department specific lists of missions. The list of missions offered can vary slightly depending on your current map. Every 20 hours, the list of missions offered resets.

-In Progress is a list of all doff missions you currently have running. If needed, you can also abort any in progress mission. Any inputs will return to their respective rosters/inventories.

-Completed missions will move to here. Click on "Collect Rewards" to receive the fruits of your doff's hard work, or "Acknowledge Report" is things went pear-shaped.

-Assignment Log is a list of the recently completed missions.

-Assignment Chains allows you to keep track of your progress on the various mission chains scattered throughout the galaxy.

R&D was added to the DOFF UI since it utilizes doffs in the crafting assignments. R&D assignments function just like doff missions. Assign a doff and wait for it to complete. Ignoring or utilizing the R&D system has no effect on doff missions besides the fact that a doff can't be on 2 missions at the same time.

Pretty sure you just crit my eyeballs.
    Sorry.

So what do all these symbols on my doffs mean?
    Ok, so if we go back to the Roster and select any doff, on the far right side of the window we'll see that doff's dossier. Those symbols are the doff's traits. Each mission requires certain doff specializations and traits to maximize success.

Alright. I'm gonna digest all this, maybe lubricate my eyeballs.
    I'll be here awaiting further inquiries. Smile

Pyriel32
    Director of Intelligence

Fleet Rank : Fleet Admiral
    Special Operations Rank : SPO Fleet Admiral
    Intel Department Rank : INT Fleet Admiral
    Number of posts : 4645
    Ship Name : U.S.S. ACHERON
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-97397-D
    Ship Class : Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser (Special Operations Refit)

Name: Pyriel Danto

Post by Pyriel32 on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Nice work.

Ryukotsu
    Head of Engineering

Fleet Rank : Flag Captain
    Intel Department Rank : INT Captain
    Engineering Dept. Rank : SED Captain
    Number of posts : 300
    Ship Name : U.S.S Serenity
    I.S.S Serenity
    Ship Registry Number : (current) NCV-94011
    (Alternate) NX-94011
    Ship Class : Wells temporal Science vessel
    Mobius Temporal Destroyer

Name:

Post by Ryukotsu on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:50 am

wow, this is alot of very useful information, esp for someone who never really delved into the doff system.

so question, since some people lack alot of doff exp you mentioned, commendation XP (CXP) , I may have missed it when i was reading but: What is commendation XP , how do you earn it, and what uses does it have.

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Name:

Post by Issara on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:51 am

ryukotsu wrote:wow, this is alot of very useful information, esp for someone who never really delved into the doff system.

so question, since some people lack alot of doff exp you mentioned, commendation XP (CXP) , I may have missed it when i was reading but: What is commendation XP , how do you earn it, and what uses does it have.

Commendation XP (CXP) comes from doff missions. Depending on the mission, it will reward CXP in one or more Commendation categories. CXP's base use is for leveling your Commendation category ranks. As you rank up a category, you gain access to various rewards: titles, free doffs, etc. Rank 4 is currently the max rank you can get in a category (no word if Delta Rising will add additional ranks) which is 100,000 cxp. Once you achieve Rank 4, CXP's secondary use comes in. While 100,000 cxp is the minimum needed to reach Rank 4, you can continue to earn CXP in a category up to a maximum of 150,000 cxp. That excess 50,000 cxp can be turned in for Fleet Marks on the Fleet Starbase. Each turn-in takes 10,000 cxp in return for 75 Fleet Marks (100 on a critical success). The system will never let you de-level yourself by spending CXP to put yourself below 100,000.

Each doff mission lists in the summary, and on the planning pane, the CXP it will reward upon success.

To see the status of your Commendation categories, open the DOFF UI and go to the Overview tab. On the right side of the tab will be the list of Commendation categories and your current Rank and CXP total. Clicking on any of the categories will expand it to show the full details for each rank in that category.

And finally, an example. As of this post, Issara is sitting at 112,193/100,000 xp in the Diplomatic commendation category. If I were to use the conversion console on the Fleet Starbase, I could start the Diplomatic turn-in mission. After the mission's 8 hour runtime is complete, I get my Fleet Marks, and would be sitting at 102,193/100,000 xp. The system will not let me start another Diplomatic turn-in mission until I get back to at least 110,000/100,000 xp in that category.

Hopefully that clears things up. Smile

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Name:

Post by Issara on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:36 pm

Good, you're back. Thought you might've gotten lost.
    My apologies. My free time has been few and far between this last week.

So...doff missions. What am I looking at here?
    First, a refresher from my previous post:

Assignments. If it's an assignment, it'll be found in here.

-Current Map will list all missions available, if any, on the current map. They will be organized by Commendation category. Every 4 hours, this list will reset itself with a new list of missions.

-Personal will list all missions available to you and only you. This will be a smaller, specialized list. Typically filled with shipboard missions, like fixing the turbolift, or running targeting drills. This list will reset every hour.

-Department Heads allows you to set Bridge Officers to positions of First Officer and Department Head, as well as giving access to department specific lists of missions. The list of missions offered can vary slightly depending on your current map. Every 20 hours, the list of missions offered resets.

-In Progress is a list of all doff missions you currently have running. If needed, you can also abort any in progress mission. Any inputs will return to their respective rosters/inventories.

-Completed missions will move to here. Click on "Collect Rewards" to receive the fruits of your doff's hard work, or "Acknowledge Report" is things went pear-shaped.

-Assignment Log is a list of the recently completed missions.

-Assignment Chains allows you to keep track of your progress on the various mission chains scattered throughout the galaxy.

So, let's open the DOFF UI, Assignments tab along the top, and Current Map on that tab. All available missions for the map you are on will be listed here and grouped according to their Commendation category (Diplomatic, Medical, etc.). Each mission entry summary is formatted the same: Name of the assignment along the top, Rarity and mission duration on the right, base Results lower left, and input Requirements lower middle. In the bottom right is the Plan button. Clicking here takes you to the full mission details and allows you to assign doffs to the mission. Mousing over the Results and Requires boxes will show the contents of each in more detail.

Let's take a look at an example. "Analyze Probe for Alien Artifacts" is a common mission found throughout the galaxy's space maps. It can be found under the Exploration category. Let's click on Plan. On this screen, the top third is layed out much like the summary. Replacing the Requirements box is Outcomes. Every mission has a base amount of Critical Success, Success, Failure, and Disaster. Matching the correct doff(s) for a mission will increase your Success and Critical Success chances. Also listed here is Casualty Risk. In the event of a Failure or Disaster outcome for the mission, any doffs sent may become injured. Injured doffs are automatically sent to sickbay to recover. One final note on doff injury: Common (white) quality doffs are the only quality that can die from being injured on a mission. Doffs that die are removed from your roster permanently. Uncommon (green) quality and higher doffs are only injured. Now, the bottom 1/2 of the screen is where you will assign any doffs (if required) to a mission. Each doff slot will list what specializations will increase your Success chance, and what traits will increase your Critical Success chance. Also, if a doff slot needs a particular school (Tactical, Operations, Science, etc.) it will be listed to the left of the "Select" button) For "Analyze Probe for Alien Artifacts," it requires 2 doffs. Doff 1 must be from the Science school as indicated by the "Science" label next to the Select button. Further success can be gained by assigning either a Photonic Studies Scientist or a Research Lab Scientist to this slot. If any of our prospective doffs have Eidetic Memory or Logical as traits, we can choose them to increase our Critical Success chance. Doff 2 doesn't have a School restriction, but it does add Systems Engineer to the list of Photonic Studies and Research Lab Scientists for specializations that will increase Success chance. And finally, the same 2 traits, Eidetic Memory and Logical will help increase our Critical Success chance. Once you're satisfied with the doffs assigned, click on "Begin Assignment" in the bottom right corner to start the mission, or "Cancel" in the bottom left corner to go back to the list of available missions.

Ok, I was following you until I noticed the system auto assigned my doffs in the planning screen. What gives?
    To help new, returning, and veteran players alike with the latest DOFF revamp, the developers made it so that the DOFF system tries to help by suggesting doffs when planning a mission. By default, the system will assign doffs to minimize/eliminate Failure and Disaster chances and maximizing Success chance. If you like the doffs picked and/or the %'s in the Outcomes box, then feel free to hit "Begin Assignment." If you'd prefer different doffs, or think you can tweak the numbers slightly better, then click "Select" and manually choose the doff for each slot.

So every mission is laid out the same?
    Yep. All info is found in the same spot no matter the mission. Obviously the biggest changes are the Rewards per mission and the required doffs (anywhere from 0 to 5). The better the quality of doffs sent on a mission, the better the modifier on the final rewards from the mission.

Alright, I fired off that Analyze mission. Now what?
    Each mission has a runtime. For the Analyze Probe mission used for the example, it has a runtime of 30min. And the runtime counts down regardless of being logged in or not. So for our example, after 30min, it will complete and move to the Completed tab. Moving over to that tab we'll see all of our currently completed missions. If a mission is a Success or Critical Success, you can click on the "Collect Rewards" button on each mission to collect your spoils. If a mission is a Failure or Disaster, then your option will be to click on "Acknowledge" to get a report on the damage and see how many, if any, doffs will be spending some time in sickbay.

So how often can I run a mission?
    This depends on the missions "cooldown." A mission's "cooldown" starts the moment you click "Begin Assignment" after assigning doffs. It can be anything from a couple hours to a day or more. Sadly, nowhere in-game shows you a mission's cooldown. Some 3rd party websites do list a mission's cooldown. For the average user, knowledge of a mission's cooldown is not needed. If a mission is up, great. If not, it'll be found later. For the more advanced user, it can help guide your route through the galaxy looking for rare missions.

Speaking of rare missions...what do I look for and where do I find them?
    Whoa, slow down there buddy. First, decide on what you want to focus on. Different types of doff missions can be found more readily in some areas over others. Next, make sure you have the doffs to support your focus. This may mean you have to side-line into recruitment to build up your roster before truly settling on your focus. And finally, for those that want to take the plunge, you can use DOFFTrekker (http://bit.ly/DOFFS).

DOFFTrekker?
    A community driven Google spreadsheet. Based on user input, it tracks where in the galaxy high profile, high profit, or chain doff missions can currently be found. Due to the depth of info potential, I'll go more into DOFFTrekker in my next post.

Issara
    Serenity Passenger

Name:

Post by Issara on Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:21 pm

So, DOFFTrekker...what am I looking at here?
    DOFFTrekker (http://bit.ly/DOFFS) is a community driven Google Docs spreadsheet. Between the spreadsheets and the 2 in-game chat channels, players can get a more accurate idea of what higher profile and chain missions are available around the galaxy at any given time.

If all you'd like is a handy quick view of what missions are up and where, any of the "Viewscreen" links will work just fine.

If you'd like a customizable, individualized, personal mission tracker, then click on the "DOFFTrekker" link in the middle. (Note: a Google account is needed to use this aspect of DOFFTrekker)

First thing first, read the READ ME. Zero and crew did a good job going over the spreadsheet itself and how to set it up. And yes, there is some assembly in order for the timestamps to work correctly.

Once you've finished setting up the sheet, we can start populating it. Along the left side of the spreadsheet are the various mission chains found throughout the galaxy. Popping over to STO, open the DOFF UI -> Assignments -> Assignment Chains. Here you will find your progress on all the chains. Input your progress for each chain on the sheet, and viola. As other players and/or yourself report mission availability, the "Status" field will update. Remember to update the "Step" field as you progress through the chains so that you're always receiving the correct info.

The "Custom Tracking" area (orange cells) is where you truly make it your sheet. While not every mission in the game will be found in the drop down box, all the ones listed are higher profile missions. This means they reward more dilithium, CXP, EC, a bonus item(s) upon a critical success, or any combination of the above. Also, not every mission has had its cooldown determined, but having a timestamp can help you from continuing to look for it too soon. For example, "Dilithium Mining in an Unstable Asteroid" has not had an exact cooldown determined. From personal observation, it takes around 2.5-3 days for it to come off cooldown. So, having the timestamp lets me know that if I ran the mission on say, Monday, then Wednesday/Thursday I should start to keep my eyes open for it again.

The DOFF checklists to the far right are handy if you're trying to be a completionist, but can be safely ignored if you wish.

You said something about chat channels?
    Yes, there are 2 chat channels in-game: DOFFCALLS and DOFFJOBS. Both are 100% optional.

DOFFCALLS is used for reporting the availability of any missions tracked by the sheet. Volunteers monitor the channel for call outs and post them to the spreadsheet for all to see. Chatting is heavily discouraged to avoid cluttering the call outs. If you do decide to help, remember: Personal missions cannot be shared, so should never be called out; Dept. Head missions can be shared with others via a bridge invite as long as you stay in the Sector Block that you found it in; specify which faction (FED/KDF) your callout is for.

DOFFJOBS is used for DOFF mission questions and discussions. Fair warning: while obstensibly DOFF missions will be the topic of the day, the reality is 1 part fleet chat, 1 part zone chat, 2 parts DOFF, a dash of game mechanics, a dollop of ranting; shake; pour; serve.

Any further questions or comments, feel free to post and I'll get to them asap. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:46 pm

Current date/time is Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:46 pm