Serenity Station

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Firefly Fleet Announcements:

Welcome to Serenity Station!!

We now have a Tier three Starbase!!

Welcome to the Firefly Fleet!   Fleet and web updates will be found here!

Be sure to drop by our Allied forums and say hi!  Very Happy

Congratulations to new promotees!

Navigation

Index
Index
Calender
Photo Gallery
FAQ
Search The Forum
Firefly Fleet Protocols
Fleet Roster
Forum Memberlist
Usergroups
User Control Panel
Private Message Inbox

Team Speak

teamspeak server Hosting by TeamSpeak3.com

Latest topics

» New Active User
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 12:52 am by sirvanyev

» Map of station?
An official review of "Twilight" EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 6:23 am by Reanna Aloi

» Price of Liberty crew
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyTue Jun 18, 2019 11:11 am by HareBrained

» Curiousity Topics
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyThu May 30, 2019 7:16 pm by Reanna Aloi

» As ithers see us?
An official review of "Twilight" EmptySun May 26, 2019 10:08 pm by Reanna Aloi

» Species profile - the Thuln
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyFri Apr 19, 2019 7:48 pm by Reanna Aloi

» Is it time we had our own system of "stardates"?
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 4:37 pm by Seeker

» For VR buffs
An official review of "Twilight" EmptyTue Mar 05, 2019 10:26 am by Reanna Aloi

» Noelle's Request to join the Fleet
An official review of "Twilight" EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm by Lastline

3 posters

An official review of "Twilight"

Billy_Guile
    Billy_Guile
    Serenity Valley Survivor

Fleet Rank : Captain
    Security/Marine Rank : FMC Mastor Sergeant Major
    Number of posts : 1236
    Ship Name : USS Echo Burning
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-87424
    Ship Class : Sovereign
    Fleet Division : Marines/Security

Main RP Character Profile
    Name:

An official review of "Twilight" Empty An official review of "Twilight"

Post by Billy_Guile Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:55 am

omgomgomg i love twilight! read on!
    How Twilight Works

A few weeks ago I had the miserable experience of reading Twilight. A friend bought it for me and I took it with me to read on a long flight from Seattle to Houston. I knew it was going to be crappy, but I thought it would be a guilty pleasure kind of crappy - where you know it's bad but you still get enjoyment out of it. I actually managed to power through around 400 pages until I gave up and started reading Sky Mall. I've been seeing Twilight everywhere lately, especially with Vampire Teens II New Moon's release, so I thought I'd break down why chicks go apeshit for it.

First off, the author creates a main character which is an empty shell. Her appearance isn't described in detail; that way, any female can slip into it and easily fantasize about being this person. I read 400 pages of that book and barely had any idea of what the main character looked like; as far as I was concerned she was a giant Lego brick. Appearance aside, her personality is portrayed as insecure, fumbling, and awkward - a combination anyone who ever went through puberty can relate to. By creating this "empty shell," the character becomes less of a person and more of something a female reader can put on and wear. Because I forgot her name (I think it was Barbara or Brando or something like that), I'm going to refer to her as "Pants" from here on out.

So after a few chapters of listening to Pants whine about high school, sucking at volleyball, and being the center of attention, the second major character is introduced. Imagine everything women want in a man, then exaggerate it by ten thousand - and you've got Edward Cullen. The level of detail that the author goes into while describing Edward's appearance is remarkable. At one point while reading I started counting the number of times the author used the expression "Edward's perfect face," and it was far into the double digits. The author excruciatingly details his muscular pecs, clothing, hair, eye color - even his goddamn breath (I'm not joking).

Edward intensely listens to everything Pants has to say, even if she's bitching about she had diarrhea on Christmas or her preferred method for cutting a sandwich in half. As far as the reader is concerned, Edward cares about nothing in the world more than Pants. What the author has done is created a perfect male figure - a pale Greek statue which the reader can worship and in turn be worshipped by.

So what about men that like Twilight?
    If you're male and you like Twilight, you're gay. I don't mean that in the derogatory sense, I mean it in the "you want to put your testicles against another man's testicles while gripping handfuls of chesthair" kind of way.

And the movie?
    The movie is just the same uninspired crap shat out onto a film reel. If you like the taste of horse manure on your bologna sandwiches, you're probably gonna like it on your birthday cake as well. The same principle applies with Twilight.

Beyond that, it's just a romance novel with the occasional vampire teen drama bullshit peppered here and there. It doesn't really break any new ground in the realm of vampire fiction, other than portraying vampires as a family of uncomfortable retards who prance around the woods eating deer and bunny rabbits. There's lots of nervous lip-biting, tender kisses between Pants and Edward, and lengthy descriptions of every feature of Edward's body. Pants is a static character who never really progresses beyond being an insecure vampire fangirl who obsesses over Edward. Whether her character grows beyond that is unknown to me, I'd stopped reading by then and shifted my attention to an electric butt-massaging chair in Sky Mall.
    Lastline
    Lastline
    Commander Air Group

Fleet Rank : Fleet Admiral
    Serenity Starfighter Corps : FSC Fleet Chief Flight Marshal
    Number of posts : 3358
    Ship Name : Sun Burst
    Ship Registry Number : NCC-989543
    Ship Class : Valkyrie
    Fleet Division : Starfighter Corps (The Fireflys)

Main RP Character Profile
    Name: Nathan "Lastline" Merano

An official review of "Twilight" Empty Re: An official review of "Twilight"

Post by Lastline Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:44 am

Hmm so, how is it that you could fall in love with your food? I mean I really liked Bob the Turkey he was a good bird. But I still took his head off and will eat him later today.
    Oh and did you purchase anything from the wonderness of crap that is the Sky Mall?
    segreto
    segreto
    Object in Space

Fleet Rank : Lieutenant
    Number of posts : 168
    Ship Name : venom
    Ship Class : Unkn
    Fleet Division : Command

Post by segreto Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:34 pm

I wish they would make Buffy the Vampire Slayer into a movie...oh, wait!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:30 pm